Board of Directors
Canonero Brown, Jackson Law Group
- Kami Tucker, Purpose LLC.
- Alexandria Shariff, RSM US LLP
Sasha Legette, Executive Director
- R.C. Evans, Directors of Operations
Pure Justice uses community organizing, and civic and electoral engagement as methods help reform institutions and systems that perpetuate social and criminal injustices, and to improve the lives of low-income and working-class families
- Our members are comprised of local working families, victims of criminal or social injustice, as well as concerned and compassionate members of the community.
- Every campaign we launch and victory we win is based on the desires and concerns of our members. Pure Justice simply provides the tools and platform necessary for them to advance their issues.
Research and Policy
Reforming the Plea Bargaining Process
Approximately 95% of criminal cases never make it to trial but end in a plea bargain and a significant number of suspect enter into plea deals, not out of sheer guilt, but out other factors that ultimately result in a conviction that changes their lives forever. (Report Coming Soon)
Community Outreach Workshops
Know Your Rights Workshops
The media has highlighted police brutality particularly during traffic stops in a way like never before. This has caused the public to be more concerned about what is and isn’t allowed during a traffic stop. Pure Justice offers a “Know Your Rights” workshop to assist the community in addressing this concern.
State and Local Government Workshops
The recent 2016 presidential election has ignited citizens across this country to become more politically engaged; however, many don’t know where to start. Pure Justice offers a workshop in helping community residents understand how state and local government is structured and how politics works. This workshop does not advocate any particular partisanship nor does it endorse or encourage the selection of any political candidate.
Pure Justice works with low-income and former indigent clients of the local public defender’s office to ensure they were properly serviced by a criminal justice system that should work for ALL people regardless of socioeconomic background.
Case Review Clinic
A case review consists of the following:
- Review of prior convictions to determine if any post-conviction relief options are available.
- Expungement Petition: Assist in completing and filing expungement forms.
- Pardon Petition: Assist in completing and filing pardon petition forms.
- Connect victims to social services: refer victims and members to partnering agencies and attorneys.
Mentorship Matching and Referral Services
In our efforts to combat the school to prison pipeline, Pure Justice is committed to assisting at-risk youth to receive the educational and career resources they need by pairing them up with our community partners to help get and keep them on the right track.
WHAT SUPPORTERS SAY?
"Pure Justice has brought a unique way and innovative way to engage and teach the young men of our organization about their constitutional rights through their legal awareness workshop."
"We appreciate the Pure Justice staff for partnering with other organizations to help bring thousands of bottles of water to Flint, MI during the height of our crisis. Happy the are still concerned about their hometown.
"When I needed legal assistance beyond their capacity, they referred me to their partnering law firm who helped me tremendously!"